Love + Connection = Transformation is happening in our small group ministry. If you are looking to connect to this community in a more meaningful way, then small group ministry is for you! Our small group ministry spiritual tasks deepen the ways we experience our monthly worship themes. The spiritual tasks are mostly personal and when we share, we also strengthen our relationships and our ability to open up to love and care for one another. Here is an example spiritual task for you to try out:
Don’t treat these questions like “homework” or try to answer every one. Instead, make time to meditate on the list and then pick the one question that speaks to you most. The goal is to figure out which question is “yours.” Which question captures the call of your inner voice? Which one contains “your work”? And what is that question trying to get you to notice or acknowledge? Once you find your question, take some time to reflect on it each day and notice how your answers shift throughout the week. Often it helps to read the list to a friend or loved one and ask them which question they think is the question you need to wrestle with!
1. Do you believe that history is “written by the victors”? How have you experienced the “losers” version of history winning out? Or altering your own calling in the world?
2. When you tell the history of the pandemic ten years from now, what story do you think you will begin with?
3. What memory has been with you the longest? What does it want from you so badly that it has held on to you for so long?
4. What memory will die with you if you don’t pass it on? Is this the month you finally make a concrete plan to make sure it lives on the memory of another?
5. What memory holds your truest self? What memories help you hold on to yourself?
6. What if the question isn’t, “Did it really happen that way?” But instead, “Why do you want to remember that it happened that way?”
7. Have you figured out the story you want to be remembered by?
8. Does fall come with its own set of memories? Do you remember differently this time of year?
9. What has life taught you about memory and pain?
10. Is it time to question the ancestors’ wisdom?
11. Is it time to tell the ancestors’ secrets?
12. Have you forgiven yourself for that mistake-filled chapter in your own history?
13. What’s your question? Your question may not be listed above. As always, if the above questions don’t include what life is asking from you, spend the month listening to your days to find it.